“Personal Data” is information or pieces of information that could allow you to be personally identified such as for example:
- Medical condition (e.g. allergies or illness)
- Claims data (e.g. incident data or treatment)
- Name and contact details (e.g. postal and email address, telephone number)
- Country of residence
- Birth date
- Bank account details
How do we collect Personal Data?
We may collect Personal Data in a variety of ways, including:
- From our corporate affiliates, service partners, assistance providers or claim handlers: Our corporate affiliates may provide us with Personal Data before, during and after you take part of a program. We work with claim handlers and assistance providers, including but not limited to AETNA Student Health and Falck Global Assistance, who may provide Personal Data to us in connection with the checking of eligibility or handling of an insurance claim. We also work with service partners for e.g. customer service.
- Directly from you: Information may be collected directly from you, for example:
- Offline: We may collect Personal Data from you offline, such as when you contact customer service, provide information to us on a physical form or otherwise provide us with Personal Data offline.
We may also collect certain non-personally identifiable information about your use of our services through your browser, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and service provider. In addition an IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Websites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. These data are not related to any identified or identifiable person and are used for anonymous statistical analyses and to improve the Websites.
How do we use Personal Data?
Your Personal Data will be processed by Erika for the purposes of providing you with travel insurance coverage, including checking your insurance eligibility, administering medical assistance and processing insurance claims; for customer service; administrative services or as otherwise necessary to fulfil our obligations towards you.
We may also use Personal Data for statistical purposes, calculating usage levels, and helping diagnose server problems as well as to ensure that the Websites function properly.
How do we share Personal Data?
We may share your Personal Data with our corporate affiliates, claim handlers and assistance providers, business partners and reinsurers both within and outside the EEA/Switzerland. Such service providers are contracted by Erika and subject to the same data protection provisions as Erika itself. We have put appropriate safeguards in place for transfers of your Personal Data outside the EEA/Switzerland, including the standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission. For more information on standard data protection clauses in place, please see the contact section below.
We may also share Personal Data as we believe to be necessary: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.